Eng. Ndumiso Nyaningwe was born on the 8th October 1959. He attended his Ordinary Level at Mzingwane Secondary School. From 1980 to 1989 he continued with his studies in Hungary where he obtained his BSc degree in Civil Engineering specialising in Water Supply and Sanitation. Eng. Ndumiso Nyaningwe is also a holder of Certificate in Business Function and Management Techniques. He is a registered member of Zimbabwe Institute of Engineers since 2001, and also associate member of South African Institute of Civil Engineers.
Eng. Ndumiso Nyaningwe joined Bulawayo City Council as an Engineer in the Water Distribution Section from 1990 to 1996. From 1996 and 1999 he acted in the position of Senior Distribution Engineer. In 2000 he was appointed as the Senior Water Engineer when he joined CNM & Partners a Consultant. He also worked as the Town Engineer for Victoria Falls Municipality from 2002 to 2004. He later joined Zimbabwe National Water Authority as Water Supply Engineer heading the Water Supply Section from 2004 to 2008. In 2008 Eng. Ndumiso Nyaningwe left ZINWA to join Colic Construction, a Chinese construction company based in Botswana where he worked as a Site Agent up to 2009. Currently Eng. Ndumiso Nyaningwe is employed by Kariba Municipality as the Director of Engineering Services as of October 2009 to date.
- MAIN FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENT
- Provides technical services to the local authority e.g. project development
- Prepares all planning issue/matter for the town in line with Regional, Town and Country Planning Act.
- Controls and monitors development within the town’s boundaries in line with model building by-laws.
- Spearheads the provision of land development infrastructural services such water, sewerage, storm drainage and road network.
- Liases with other stakeholder on infrastructural development with Municipal boundaries e.g. ZESA, Telone, Department of Physical Planning.
- Gives support to other sister department within Council structures.
- CORE FUNCTIONS OF THE DEPARTMENTAL SECTIONS
- WATER AND SEWERAGE
- The section is headed by a foreman with several years experience in water and sewer related issues. The incumbent is a qualified Class 1 artisan plumber.
- Treat raw water to specified quality to meet the WHO standards.
- Maintenances of both sewer and water reticulation system.
- Collection of sewage effluent to sewage works for treatment
- Carrying out water and sewer connections
- Monitoring and controlling of quality of water supplies and sewage effluent.
- Daily operations of distribution of water to all consumers.
- Unblocking of sewer blockages
- Water and sewer reticulation mains extension and upgrading.
b. TRANSPORT AND WORKSHOP SECTION
The section is headed by an Assistant Director Transport who is a qualified mechanic and has a Diploma in Transport Management and several years of experience in transport management.
- Maintenance of all council fleet, plant and equipment.
- Management of council fleet of vehicles and equipment.
- In charge of daily operations of council vehicles and plant.
- Fair distribution of transport to other Departments
c. ELECTRICAL AND MECHANICAL SECTIONS
Each section is headed by qualified class 1 Electrician/Fitter, with several years of experience in their respective fields.
- Maintenance of pumps and motors at all water and sewerage stations
- Monitor daily operations of pumps and motors
- Maintenance of street lighting
- Carrying out repairs on all mechanical and electrical installations within Council.
d. ROADS AND CIVIL WORKS SECTIONS
The section is head by a qualified Civil Engineering Technician, with a bias to roads and several years of experience in field of civil engineering.
- Maintenance of road network system.
- Maintenance of storm drains
- Maintenance of all road signs
- Maintenance of buildings
- Carrying out carpentry works on council building structures
e. TOWN PLANNING AND BUILDING INSPECTORATE
The section is located at 525 Andorra Harbour (Council Workshops). The Town Planning Services offers development permits and protection to our clients from bad neighbours through enforcement and development control procedures. These range from complaints on noise, illegal land uses, squatters and change of use advice.
KEY RESULT AREAS OR FUNCTIONS OF THE SECTION
Manages the Town’s physical environment as dictated by the provisions of the RTCP Act and supportive statutory enactments.
Responsible for the preparation of statutory planning and development control documents and implementing the provisions of the same by facilitating, guiding, controlling, monitoring and enforcing developments and activities on land as envisioned in the provisions of the operative Master Plan, Local Plans , Layout Plans and policy prescriptions.
The Town Planning and Development Control Section is also responsible for :
i) Research and Development –
This is policy formulation, crafting and formulating statutory and non-statutory policy proposals that guide and direct development on the land under Municipality of Kariba’s area of jurisdiction. These documents include Kariba Master Plan.
- ii) Development Control –
This is the operating/implementing arm for all Town Planning regulations. Its operations relate to the following:
- Building plan approvals,
- Processing subdivision and consolidation applications,
- Change of use,
- Change of reservations,
- Special consent.